If you have been wondering how to start a blog in Kenya, then you have just landed on the right page.
In this blog I will take you on a step by step process, showing you how it is done.
To make it easy to understand, I have broken the whole process into 7 actionable steps.
This article covers:
- How to pick a Niche
- Picking a blogging platform
- How to select a perfect domain name for your website
- Picking a Web Hosting provider
- WordPress Installation
- Adding posts and pages
How to pick a blogging Niche
Before you start a blog, you first need to know the niche that you intend to focus on. If the term niche is new to you, just know that it simply means the category that your blog intends to focus on. There are many niches that you can choose to blog about. People all over the world have success stories in every niche. However, what works for someone else will not necessarily work for you.
So how do you get to pick a blogging niche that suits you?
Whichever niche that you decide to pick and blog about has to be something that you are passionate about or you have a piece of vast knowledge around. If this is the case, you can be sure to never run out of content.
Just to get you started, here is a list of top five blogging niches for you to consider:
- Personal Finance
Picking a niche for your blog helps you stay focused and your visitors will always find you relevant. However, this decision could also influence the amount that your blog can earn.
Picking a blogging platform
By a blogging platform, I simply mean a content management system. A platform that will help you manage media and blog posts on your site.
While starting off, I highly recommend that you pick WordPress as your platform of choice.
I highly recommend WordPress because of a number of reasons:
- WordPress is open source, meaning it is free for use by anyone.
- Setting it ups is easy and fast
- There are many free template themes to get you started
- WordPress has a huge community around it, meaning getting help is fast
- WordPress is easy to customize even for beginners
How to select a perfect domain name for your website
A domain name is the first thing that most of your visitors will encounter first before even landing on a page on your blog.
Therefore, when you start a blog, your domain name should be neat and attractive.
It should summarize your brand at a glance.
However, picking a domain name should not stress you out because you can always do search engine customization for your blog later.
Here are some golden tips on how to pick a perfect domain name for your site:
- It should be easy to type
- make it pronounceable
- Keep it short
- Try to use broad keywords
- Avoid numbers and hyphens in your domain
- Ensure that the blog name makes sense
- don’t use other company’s brand names or trademarked slogans
Picking a Web Hosting provider
Web host providers are remote storage for your web pages. This is where your site’s media and blog posts are stored. Here are some factors to consider while picking a web hosting provider:
- Bandwidth: Bandwidth is the amount of data received by a client’s browser sent from the server hosting your website.
- Type of Web hosting
- Storage space and speed: Storage is measured in GB. It represents the data that you store on your server.
- Uptime: Uptime simply means the duration the server will display your website on the internet. Most hosting companies will display the uptime in the form of a percentage.
- Customer support
Since time is money, I wanted you to save some by researching and recommending a web hosting company that satisfies all these factors.
Bluehost has an uptime of 99.99% and a load time of average 419ms. Their support is 24/7 and they will always ensure quick in-time customer response.
These factors and many others make Bluehost stand out from the rest.
Signing up on Bluehost:
- Visit Bluehost sign up page here
- Subscribe to their shared hosting package.
- Pick a free domain name
- Complete the checkout(payment)
Install WordPress on you cpanel
With BlueHost, WordPress installation is done with a single click.
How do you do that?
◦ Login to your Bluehost control panel at https://my.bluehost.com
◦ Once you are logged in, you’ll be redirected to your Control Panel. From there, choose “Install WordPress”
◦ This leads you to the next page where you can choose your blog destination URL. I recommend using your root domain i.e (www.yourawesomename.com, not www.yourawesomename.com/blog/), so you just leave the field on the right empty.
Log in to your WordPress installation and start creating posts.
And there you have it on how to start a blog.
Make sure to leave a comment and share the article if you found it helpful. Here is a post I think you would also like: How to promote affiliate content on your blog.